April 9, 2016
2:00 p.m. EST
Access number: 712.432.0075, Pin 427266# Press *6 to mute or un-mute. Please notify the secretary with changes, additions, or motions for this meeting.
A. Call to Order: Please be sure that any background noises in your area are eliminated since the sounds make it difficult for participants to hear. When speaking, please say your name first. This will help us record your name with your input. Thank you.
1. Open with the Serenity Prayer
2. Tradition Four: Each group is autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or ACA as a whole. We cooperate with all other Twelve-Step programs.
B. Roll Call of Board Members: Larry A., Chair, and Literature Committee Chairperson; Mary Jo L., Treasurer, Finance Committee Chair; Majbrit M., European Committee Chair and Vice Chair, Ines Z, Secretary, Spanish Liaison and Spanish Translations Committee Chair, Bill D, Chair of Member and Public Service Committee and Member of the Finance Committee, and Jeffrey F. Member of the European Committee and the Literature Committee.
C. Establish Quorum
D. Guests Introductions: Guests, while this has never been an issue with this Board, as an example to anyone who manages or attends ACA phone bridge meetings, we wish to make you aware that this conference line is used to manage and record our WSO teleconferences. A caller’s phone number and name appears on a dashboard visible only to the WSO Webmaster and the WSO Board. If you do not wish to disclose your information, feel free to use your phone settings to block your caller ID, or you can also attend this teleconference using your computer. Instructions for this are on our website Repository under “Teleconference Agendas.”
At this point we would like to invite all of our guests to introduce themselves by first name only and perhaps telling us where you are calling from and the number of times you have attended our monthly teleconference meetings. Guests, please introduce yourselves:
After the introductions: Non-Board members are welcome to listen to the Teleconference but are requested to remain silent unless called upon to participate. We respectfully ask that guests hold their comments until the end of our meeting. We ask everyone to press *6 if you are not speaking. If someone needs to talk further, they may do so at the close of the meeting.
Motion to approve the minutes of the February 13th, 2016 Teleconference Minutes. (Ines)
Motion to approve the minutes of the March 12th, 2016 Teleconference Minutes. (Ines)
F. Committee Reports: I will ask the Committee Chairperson to give their reports. (Generally we provide 5 minutes for each report.)
1. ACA WSO Treasurer’s Report and Finance Committee, Treasurer, Mary Jo L.
2. ACA WSO Literature Committee, Larry A.
- Spanish Translations Update, Ines Z.
- ComLine, Phyllis
- Staff, Robin
3. ACA WSO DC Oversight Committee and Distribution Office, Mary Jo L.
4. ACA (MPS) Members and Public Service Committee, Bill/Joan/Bonnie/Denise
- Hospitals & Institutions Committee, Joan B
- Intergroup Liaison Committee, Bonnie M.
5. ACA Website/Database Committee, LarryA.
6. European Committee, Majbrit M.
7. OPPM Review Committee, Joan B.
8. 2016 ABC Committee, Larry A./Bill
9. Executive Committee, Majbrit M.
- Approval to order 5,500 Twelve Steps of Adult Children workbooks. This order is not greater than a previous maximum order. The Executive Board approves anything less than a previous maximum order. If we are exceeding a previous maximum, a formal motion is made otherwise, only approval is required.
- Approval for Majbrit M. to get a reimbursement in the amount of 1419DKK the equivalent of $209. When she ordered her airfare online for Riga, there was a glitch in the system that changed the return flight to the 5 of March. She called the agency but they would not change the ticket stating that the return flight was with Baltic Air. She called Baltic Air and talked to their manager and was told that the type of ticket ordered would not allow them to change anything. She then asked them what it would cost to be able to change the ticket and was told it would be easier and cheaper to buy a new ticket, so she did. She used her own Visa outside of the hotel in Riga also buying her return ticket from the airport to her home town. All of these are approved within the $500 budget. Also this month she paid 305DKK for a BBI which was sent to Jeffrey and a return ticket from the Bronx (train) 2015. The grand total is 2359DKK which is the Equivalent of $ 348. She’d like to withdraw this from the ATM using the WSO Chase visa card. The nearest amount she can withdraw is 2350 because of her currency does not allow coins in ATMs
G. Old Business: None
H. New Business:
Motions for April 2016 TC
1.MOTION: That the Board approve wage increases for the Distribution Center Staff. (DC Oversight Committee – Mary Jo, Chair)
Background: The DC Oversight Committee is recommending appropriate Cost of Living Increases as well as an increase that reflects the minimum wage changes in the State of California.
2. MOTION: Verify nomination for Bill D. as the Chair of the MPS Committee. (Larry)
Background: Joan B. rotated out of her service as Chair of the MPS Committee and the H&I subcommittee of MPS. Without a Trustee as the Chair of a committee, a committee is overseen by the full Board. Bill D is serving as the Chair of the 2016 ABC AWC Host Committee and recently selected as a Board of Trustee. He has expressed a desire to serve as the Chair of the MPS Committee and would have direct oversight over the MPS committee.
3. MOTION: That the WSO Board validate on the record to postpone any decision regarding when, where and with which printer, the Russian language version of the Big Red Book (BRB) will be printed and delivered until a review of all known costs, printing options, logistics and risks associated with this activity. This assessment will be prepared and submitted in a few months’ time by the European Committee in cooperation with the Russian InterGroups. (Jeffrey)
Background: This issue was raised by Jeffrey in Prague (Chair of the European Finance and Literature Sub-Committees) on the 17 February weekly call of the Finance Committee (FC), because of the related announcement he heard on the 13 February WSO Teleconference, when he pointed out potential financial difficulties for the Russian fellowship in being able to afford the cost of printing in, and shipping from the USA, because the Russian currency (the Ruble) has collapsed against the US Dollar in recent months due to the crash in oil prices.
4. MOTION: That the Board approve the expenditure of $10,669.85 ($0.05/word) to assess the overall quality of the Russian Translation of the BRB. (Larry A.)
Background: WSO received the Russian BRB from the volunteer translators. The WSO needs to verify the quality of the translation before it is laid out and readied for printing.
NOTE: The printing of the Russian BRB will be dependent on the feasibility study mentioned in another Motion on today’s Agenda.
5. MOTION:That “WSO install security cameras inside its Signal Hill Distribution Center (DC) offices and warehouse as soon as possible with recording capability of no less than one month, using LA Security Cameras at a cost of approximately $3,250.00 (adding $395 each for 2 additional exterior cameras) the installation of the camera system which includes integration of the camera recorder into our existing network to allow for remote monitoring”.(Bill D.)
Background: During a Board of Trustees working teleconference session on March 26th it was reported to the board by a member of the DC Oversight Committee that they were made aware of a safety issue at the DC. It was discussed and agreed the most prudent course of action would be to install video recording cameras at the DC as soon as possible.
This motion is made with the understanding that any installation of the video cameras will be made in accordance with California Workplace and Employee Privacy laws.
6. MOTION: That the European Committee Chair be authorized to travel to Holland to speak and give an update on the European Committee at their ACA event on the 9th of April 2016. (Majbrit M.)
Background: Attendance at such events is an opportunity to meet the fellow travelers face to face. This brings the European fellowship closer to the WSO and breaks down any barriers there might be giving the WSO a face to relate too. At the same time the EC gets familiarized with the needs and wants for the local fellowship. Majbrit M. is invited to stay with a fellow traveler privately and participate in their activities. She will also be meeting up with the literature Chair who is very interested in the European Committee.
7. MOTION: That the Board approve that the Chair of the Hospitals and Institutions Sub-committee, Joan B., and the Chair of the Intergroup Liaison Sub-Committee, Bonnie K-M, pay for their reasonable expenses to attend the ABC AWC. (Larry A. and Bill D.)
Background: The WSO’s Member and Public Service Committee’s newly selected Chair, Bill D., will use the time to meet face-to-face and work with these two Sub-Committees to sketch out an overall strategy. In addition, having them present at the ABC AWC will allow the fellowship to interact with these trusted servants.
8. MOTION: The Board approve the use of the ACA, AWC and or BRB image to be printed on a cake to celebrate the 10th year anniversary of the publication of the BRB and expend $100 on the cake(s). (Bill D.)
Background: The publication of the BRB has spurred the growth of the fellowship and commemorating this event at the ABC AWC is worthy tribute.
Guest Comments: To allow that all of our guests have a chance to share, we will limit guest comments to 3-5 minutes. If someone needs to talk further, they may do so after the close of the meeting.
The next ACA WSO Board Teleconference is scheduled May 14th, 2016at 2:00 p.m. EST.
Is there a motion and 2nd to adjourn the meeting?
Close with the Serenity Prayer