Saturday, January 12, 2013
Access number: 712-432-0075, Pin 427266#. Press *6 to mute or un-mute. Please notify the secretary with changes, additions, or motions for this meeting.
A.Call to Order:
Please be sure that any background noises in your area are eliminated since the sounds make it difficult for participants to hear. When speaking, please say your name first. This will help us record your name with your input. Thank you.
1) Open with: The Serenity Prayer
2) Concept I: The final responsibility and the ultimate authority for ACA World Services should always reside in the collective conscience of our whole fellowship.
- Board Members Present:
- Establish Quorum
- Introduce Committee Chairpersons
- Introduction of Guests: Welcome guests. After the introductions, we respectfully ask that guests hold their comments until the end of our meeting. To allow all of the visitors to have a chance to share, we will limit guest comments to 3 to 5 minutes. If someone needs to talk further, they may do so after the close of the meeting. Only board members may talk while we have discussions.
C.Minutes: December minutes not available yet. (Joan)
D.Monthly Reports (5 minutes each item)
1. ACA WSO Treasurer, Phyllis R.
2.ACA WSO Literature Committee, Larry A.
3.ACA WSO Office Report, DiAnne A.
4.ACA WSO Outreach Committee, Phyllis R.
5.Website/Database Report, Scott R.
6.Hospitals & Institutions Committee, Joan B.
7.European Activity Report, Anja H.
8.Executive Committee Report
9.2013 ABC Report, Jesper
- E. Old business: The motion below was submitted by Phyllis for the December 2012 TC, but was tabled for discussion in January.
The board should consider having two combinations of orders:
#1 Three related items: One fellowship text, one workbook, and one New Meeting 3 ring binder. It would be called ‘Introductory Package’. This would be offered at a discount price less than the total to give people an incentive. The regular price is $35 for individual purchase and the discount purchase price for the package would be $30. It will be a featured item on the shopping cart.
2. The tri-folds will be sold in packets of 20 at a cost of $3.00. There will be no combinations of topics of the tri-folds.
The minimum purchase order will be $30, up from $10, which matches number one.
These would all have to include the shipping and handling costs. (Phyllis)
ADDITIONS to Old Business motion above: 1. Keep the minimum at $10
2. Have a special rate for inter groups rather than have a minimum. Might not work on the Shopping Cart unless we have some way of identifying the inter groups
3. Have a minimum order of $25
4. Have a minimum order of $30
5. Introduce bundled items such as one BRB and one workbook
6. Raise the minimum gradually. Hold it at $15 to see how that ‘goes.
7. This last one is one Scott and I just thought about: Raise the cost of the BRB up to $18
Motion #1: To approve an expenditure of $139 to have a Serbian “ACA Is…” pamphlet reviewed by Tampa, and $20 to have it laid out by Robin.
Background: In ACA WSO’s continuing effort to “spread the ACA message of recovery” to non-English speaking adult children, a member has submitted a translation of ACA Is… to ACA WSO.
Tampa, our translation verification agency, has given us a quote of $139 and Robin has given us a quote of $20 for laying out any tri-folds.
Motion #2: To have a discussion on how much we need to charge for UPS shipping and handling charges
Background: . It’s at $.50 right now which is much too low. I move that we change it to $2.00 for now and when the UPS comes on line, we can consider charging more. The USPS is at $2.00 right now.
Motion #3 : To authorize a Board Member to make contact with the law firm that was being used in connection with the copyright application of the words “Adult Children of Alcoholics” sought by the 2012 ABC.
Motion #4: To pay the legal fees of $1,270 associated with the copyright application of the words “Adult Children of Alcoholics” sought by the 2012 ABC
Background: These matters were being handled by Omer and have not been resolved
Motion #5: Consider cancelling the AT&T services.
Background: Do we really need the answering machine
Motion #6: (Mary Jo) I make a motion that the following be added to the first page of the Shopping Cart on the website: INFORMATION ABOUT:
- Minimum order requirement
- Quantity discounts
- Shipping charges
Background: Unless this information is available somewhere that I’m unaware of, anyone wishing to learn this information has to fill out the entire order, just short of actually placing the order before knowing everything about the charges on their order.
I think being upfront about this information is good business practice.
Motion #7: That Trustees Larry and Mary Jo will visit the Signal Hill Office in February (from February 10-14) and be reimbursed for airfare, hotel, car rental and reasonable food expenses.
That the Signal Hill office staff be invited to the office for an informal brunch on Sunday, February 10, 2013, in the late afternoon on Sunday, if at all possible.
That the Signal Hill office staff be made available to meet with Larry and or Mary Jo, if at all possible.
Background: The overall purpose of this trip is to familiarize the Literature Committee with the mechanics of the operation of the Signal Hill Office, to acknowledge strengths and make possible suggestions for efficiencies.
Aside from Larry’s legal expertise and over 25 years of working with national and international non-profits, Mary Jo has a Master’s degree in Organizational Development, has worked with departments and teams on process changes and improvements, and worked for a mail order company for 8 years in a past life.
The plan for the trip, from February 10-13, is as follows:
- begin with a lunner (lunch/dinner) at the Signal Hill Office with all of the staff that is available.
- That evening, a run through with Gloria.
- Monday: meet with Patricia and other vendors to review accounting controls and discuss possible efficiencies.
- Tuesday: spend the day in the office with the staff, observing the operation in full throttle.
- Wednesday: Clear up any outstanding questions and help wrap books, etc., as time permits
TOTAL Cost of the trip: APPROXIMATELY $1,250 + meals and gas.
Close with the Serenity Prayer
Submitted by Joan B., ACA WSO Secretary