Adult Children of Alcoholics–World Service Organization

Agenda

Monthly Teleconference

Saturday, October 11, 2014

2:00 p.m. EST

A. Call to Order:

B. Roll Call of Board Members:Larry A., Chair, and Literature Committee Chairperson; Joan B., Vice Chair and Hospital and Institutions Committee Chair; Mary Jo L., Treasurer; Karen R, Secretary; Vonnie G., MPS Chair and Trustee; Allen C., Finance Committee Member and Trustee; Majbrit M., European Committee Chair and Trustee; Ines Z, Spanish Liaison and Spanish Translations Committee Chair and Trustee, and Martin C, Finance Committee member and Trustee

C. Establish Quorum

D. Guests Introductions:

E. Minutes: Motion to approve the September 13, 2014 Teleconference Minutes as posted on the website. (Karen)

F. Committee Reports:

1. ACA WSO Treasurer, Mary Jo L.

2. ACA WSO Literature Committee, Larry A

                    a.  Audio Book Project (Larry)

                    b Spanish Groups and Spanish Translations Liaison, Ines.  

                    c. Intergroup Guidelines Literature (John M)

                   d. Literature Committee Production Assistant (Robin)

3. ACA WSO Distribution Office, (Sam)

4. ACA (MPS) Members and Public Service Committee, Vonnie G

5. Hospitals & Institutions Committee, Joan B

6. ACA Website/Database Committee, (Larry)

 7. European Committee, Majbrit M

 8. 2015 ABC Committee, Mary Jo

 9. OPPM Review Committee (Karen)

10. Executive Committee, Joan B.

G. Old Business:

            Motion #1:    (1) The ACA Board accept the Social Media Working Party’s proposal that Tradition 11 be amended so as to read as follows: “Our Public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, T.V., films AND OTHER PUBLIC MEDIA OF COMMUNICATION” and

     (2) if accepted, the Board will seek to establish the collective conscience of the whole fellowship by asking all constituent meetings and Intergroups to consider this motion in their own group conscience discussions, and advise the ABC in 2015 whether they accept or reject this amendment of Tradition 11, and

   (3) that the result of that consultation be placed before the ABC in 2015;

     (4) Based on the advice received from the worldwide fellowship’s conscience, the ABC in 2015 be asked whether to accept or reject the proposed amendment. (Martin)

Background: This is in response to the request of the 2013 ABC to consider the issues of the use of Social Media and the Traditions. This carefully prepared motion follows guidelines in accordance with Concept I, that “The final responsibility and the ultimate authority for ACA World Services should always reside in the collective conscience of our whole fellowship.” and recognizes that the ABC has the final decision respecting large matters of general policy and finance (Concept VI).

Item 1. Discussion of how to bring to the fellowship awareness of the Social Media Working Party’s recommendation that the 2015 delegates consider a specific recommended word change of the 11th Traditionin respect to the preservation of the principle of anonymity in light of advancing technology.

H. New Business:

Motion #1:   To validate for the record the Board’s specific concurrence to use the ACA debit card to make flight arrangements for Board members who request it for the November Strategic Planning meeting. (Mary Jo)

Background: This effort eliminates the need for individual reimbursement of those charges and frees people from having to pay funds up front from their own accounts.

Motion #2: To validate for the record the Board’s concurrence to change the due dates for the 2015 ABC proposals. (Larry)

Background: In order to help accommodate Board analyses and translations of proposals, WSO will need to receive all proposals by November 15th in order to get them out to the fellowship for voting in January.

Motion #3: To validate for the record the Board’s specific concurrence to authorize the payment of up to $45,000 (inclusive of the current outstanding bill of $37,000) so that we need not revisit this item in the next month for the payment of the additional work which is estimated to be about $8,000. (Larry)

Background: The website rebuild was delayed because of X-cart’s technical support team lag in integrating the SurePost option, and the cost increased because of the addition of items such as the “Search” functionality across all domains, ability to turn off the “Paper Order Form,” Centauria running interference with getting the X-cart ready, etc.

Motion #4: That the Board validate for the record the Board’s specific concurrence for the increase to the H & I budget for September to meet the needs of requested materials (Joan)

Background: Requests for literature in September exceeded the monthly budget for H & I. The precise amount over budget was not known at the time of the request to the Board, but it was certain the overage would occur.

Motion #5: To donate the materials (a BRB, Workbook, Meditation Book and set of pamphlets and tri-folds) that were sent to the Riga conference to the Riga meeting.  (Majbrit)

Background:   We sent the literature that they were to try to sell and reimburse WSO for.  Because the box didn’t arrive in time, they didn’t have an opportunity to do so.  As a goodwill gesture, because the Riga fellowship numbers are small, and because the cost is low for what we sent, we should give them the books. 

 Guest Comments:

Announcements:

Motion and 2nd to adjourn the meeting

Close with the Serenity Prayer