Adult Children of Alcoholics–World Service Organization
P.O. Box 3216 Torrance, California, 90510 (310) 534-1815
ACA WSO TELECONFERENCE MINUTES
May 10, 2014
A. Called to Order: The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of ACA WSO was called to order at 2:03 p.m. EST by Larry A., Chairman, and opened with The Serenity Prayer.
Step Five was read by the Chairman
B. Roll Call of Board Members: Larry A., Chair, and Literature Committee Chairperson; Joan B., Vice Chair and Hospital and Institutions Committee Chair; Mary Jo L., Treasurer; Karen R, Secretary; Vonnie G., MPS Chair and Trustee; Majbrit M., European Committee Chair and Trustee; Ines Z, Spanish Liaison and Spanish Translations Committee Chair and Trustee, and Martin C, elected to serve as a Board member Trustee at the 2014 ABC. It was stated on the agenda that Martin had served on the Treasure committee for almost two years, when in fact he’s been on the committee for one year. He has been attending the teleconferences since 2011 and has attended the last three Annual Business Conferences. Allen C., Finance Committee Member and Trustee was able to join in just a bit late on the call.
C. Quorum established
D. Guest Introductions: Guests who chose to introduce themselves at this time included (number of TC meetings attended shown in parenthesis if announced):Mona, Chicago IL (since Jan 2011), Mary Etta, CT (2nd), Randy, MO (1st).
E. Approval of Minutes: A motion was made and the minutes of the April 12, 2014 teleconference meeting were approved as posted. (Karen)
F. Committee Reports:
1. Treasurer, Mary Jo L.,: The full Treasurer Report is on the Repository.
2. Literature Report, Larry A.: The audio book project has been received and now there is the consideration on how to proceed for its distribution. Ines reports of continued efforts in Translations, and John M reports per email about 30 people joining the Google group regarding potential Intergroup guidelines; A full Literature Committee report can be found on the Repository.
3. Distribution Office reports 1,265 registered ACA meetings. The fullDistribution Office report may be found on the Repository.
4. ACA Members and Public Service (MPS) Committee, Vonnie G.: There has been a lot of activity with MPS this month; the full MPS Committee Report is found on the Repository.
5. Hospitals and Institutions Committee,: no report
6. Website/Database, (report given by Larry A): Website reconstruction continues, working now with shopping cart resolutions. Full website/database report may be found on the Repository.
7. European Activity Report, Majbrit M.: Much activity with the European committee. The full report is found on the Repository.
8. 2014 ABC, Joan B.: 40 people registered to attend the ABC. So many things were handled so well with transportation and accommodations. Meeting with the committee members afterward gave ideas and suggestions to bring forth for an even more successful 2015 ABC. Full 2014 ABC Report can be found on the Repository.
9. Secretary’s Report of 2014 ABC (Karen); This item was inadvertently left off the posted TC Agenda (Karen): There were 4 proposals that passed after being 2nd and discussed. (full report may be found on the Repository)
Submitted by Telephone Meeting (TEL173), 8:15 a.m. EST Thursday,That the literature available within the ACA fellowship on the Basic 5 Needs and the six essential recovery tasks be made open for discussion within ACA, in order to have it approved and integrated as part of the official fellowship (conference approved) literature.
Motion Carried 15 yes, 7 no 22
Submitted by The Bronx, NY (NY084), Fridays 7 p.m., brought forward to motion by Al: That the WSO develop a piece of literature further elaborating the materials briefly described in the first pages of the first chapter of the Fellowship Text concerning the other Laundry Lists and its implications for Adult Children recovery.
Motion Carried unanimously
Submitted by Madison, WI (WI076), 10:30, brought forward to motion by Marsha:
To include in the 25 QUESTIONS, AM I AN ADULT CHILD trifold, how someone who was raised in a home with mental illness can grow up to have some of the same issues an adult child of an alcoholic has.
(25 yes, 1 no, 1 abstention) 27
Submitted by Grover Beach, CA (IG#076), 1st Saturday at 3:45 p.m. brought forward to motion by Vonnie:
Move to institute an annual international day in January to celebrate the ACA Birthday.
(24 yes, 1 no, 1 abstention) 26
10. Executive Committee Report: no report
G. Old Business: none brought forward
H. New Business:
Motion #1: That reorders of literature and coins for the Distribution Center require only Executive Board approval when the re-order does not exceed 10% more than any previous order. That the Executive Board then be required to report that purchase as part of their monthly report on the following Teleconference call. (Mary Jo)
Background: The Treasury Committee feels the Board needs to simplify some of the purchase approval processes. If re-orders are essentially being placed to restock our shelves, and if there are funds set aside for such re-orders, then they should be considered routine. Therefore, they should not require approval by the majority of the full Board, as has been the standard practice.
Motion Carried (unanimous)
Motion 2: To validate for the record the Board’s specific concurrence to hire a consultant special worker for up to 10 hours/week at $15/hour for a training period of 2 months as a Literature Committee Production Assistant so that the Literature Chair and the consultant special worker can see the demands of the position and the suitability of the consultant special worker. (Larry)
Background: The Literature Committee was to have 10 hours of staff time to help with translations per a motion that was passed several years ago. Since that staff member left, the Literature Committee has not been staffed. The special worker has been the layout person for all of our literature since 2006 and has extensive knowledge of the literature production and development process. The Literature Chair drafted a set of tasks that this position will be charged with and the position will report to the Literature Chair who will report to the Board
Motion Carried (unanimous)
Motion #3: To validate for the record the Board’s specific concurrence to provide a budget of up to $700 to Martin C., ACA Board Trustee, to attend the European groups’ conference in Latvia that will be held September 26-28, 2014. (Karen)
Background: This event was proposed at the 2013 ABC in Denmark and the suggestion was made at the 2014 ABC to allow a 2nd Board member to attend. This was further discussed at the Board meeting that immediately followed the close of the 2014 ABC. Allowing for possible increases in prices, the proposed budget should cover 2 direct flights with low cost fares from the UK, a total of 3 nights lodging, train or other travel and minor incidentals as Martin attends the ACA conference as the 2nd Board member.
Motion Carried (unanimous)
Announcements: The next ACA WSO Board Teleconference is scheduled for June 14, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. EST.
The 2015 Annual Business Conference is scheduled for the last weekend in April 2015, April (25-26). Start saving your pennies now or have your group start passing the basket an extra time around! Details to be announced. 🙂
Adjournment: The motion to adjourn was made and 2nd. The meeting was adjourned at 3:15 p.m. EST and closed with the Serenity Prayer.
Minutes respectfully submitted by; Karen Ragan, ACA/WSO Board of Trustees, Secretary